Yes, here are a few important things to know:
- Surcharging is not allowed in all 50 states. Review the rules for your state before enabling surcharging.
- Certain card types (example: debit cards) are prohibited from surcharging.
- Visa prohibits selective surcharging. If surcharging, you must surcharge all eligible card types.
- The surcharge percentage you assess your customers must be equal to or less than the net fees you pay for payment acceptance and cannot exceed 4.0%.
- The rules for surcharging international cards may be different from the rules for charging U.S. cards. Make sure you know the applicable rules for any card you charge.
As stated above, if you’re interested in enabling surcharging at your firm, send an email to email@example.com.
If you are not a current ClientPay customer, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.